Sunday, February 21, 2010

getting to know me

After a rough week and the advice of a good friend, I have decided to make a greater effort in taking care of me and doing things that make me happy.

Too often I get caught up in the busyness of life.  Work, cleaning house, laundry, cooking dinner, church, different ministries, etc.  I forget that I need to take time out for myself. 

While talking to this friend this past week, I realized that I really have no clue what makes me tick.  She asked what makes me happy, and I had little to answer.  I know that my family makes me happy.  Taking pictures makes me happy.  Cuddling babies makes me happy.  Being in the presence of God makes me happy.  But what else?  I want to find out.  I want to get to know ME better.

So, I took some time to put on worship music and paint my nails and give myself a pedicure.  It was nice.  Relaxing.  It had been too long since I had done that.  And today I put on a pretty dress and makeup and even some matching jewelry and heels.  I felt pretty.  I know everything is not about physical appearance.  This wasn’t about that.  I just wanted to feel good about myself.  It was nice.

And like I said in my last post, I’m getting a haircut soon.  Can’t wait.

Oh, and I get to take some more pictures soon.  Lacey is having Hudson Wade sometime within the next two weeks!!!  I will be doing some newborn pictures of him.  I may get to take some more pictures of John Tyler.  And I will be taking some senior pictures for a friend sometime soon, too.  I can honestly say that I feel so “in my element” when behind the camera.  I love it.  I love taking the pictures and editing them.  Even if I never make a dime off of it, I think I will always keep photography around.

Some of the biggest news that makes me happiest of all right now…. My sister, Dom, and Ava have made it to DFW.  They now live only about 25 minutes away from me.  I could not be more excited about spending time with them.  We already have a double dinner date set for Friday.  Ava’s birthday is this week, too, so I’m sure I’ll be seeing her soon.  :) :) :)

book

Thank you, Jesus (and Jenna), for opening my eyes to this area of my life.

 

so, what makes you tick?  when are you happiest?  what is your passion?

1 comment:

Jenna Henderson said...

Thank you, Melissa. My heart is bubbling over. *WARM FUZZIES*

You are definately worth taking care of!