Sunday, December 6, 2009

chili weather

The entire weekend has been pretty cloudy with temperatures in the 30’s.  To me that means it’s time to eat chili and soup!  I just cannot eat these types of meals unless it’s cool outside.  Weird, maybe.. but that’s how I am!

So yesterday I decided to try to make chili for the first time.  I got the recipe from my mom-in-law.  It makes wayyy too much for just two people, so I halved the recipe.  I let it sit in the fridge overnight, and we ate it for lunch today.  So YUMMY!!!

IMG_3734

Natalie's Chili

1 24oz can crushed tomatoes

2 cans Chili Fixin’s Rotel Tomatoes

2 packets Chili Seasoning Mix (McCormick brand is what I use normally)

1 8oz can tomato sauce

4lbs Hamburger meat

2 TBL Spoons chili powder

Add water some water to get the right consistency

Mix all sauces & seasoning together in large pot.  Brown hamburger meat thoroughly with garlic salt & pepper then drain off any excess fat.  Add meat to sauce mixture.  You can add more Chili powder as needed to get the flavor that you want, just bear in mind that the seasoning “sinks” in more overnight in the fridge so don’t put too much (this is just something you learn as you make it each time – may want to always measure how much you put in until you get it where you want it)

Let simmer on low for 30 to 45 minutes.  Keep your fire on low or it will scorch easy.  Like I said above it is better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight before eating so the seasoning gets into the meat good.  When you warm it up you have to slow heat it or it will scorch!

This makes a large batch but you can freeze it in smaller containers for quick thawing later.

No comments: